Monday, May 25, 2009

Welly

I left good weather behind on the south island apparently. The ferry ride from Picton was about as rough as a boat ride could probably be without actual damage or injuries, I think. I was doing OK, since I'd taken some Sealegs pills, but a good portion of the ship...well, it was sort of like that story from Stand By Me where everyone's throwing up. Even with modern medicine on my side though, I had to sort of lay down on the couch in the ship's bar and zone out.

But that aside, arrived in Wellington just fine. The weather has been positively Greymouthian with a side of near gale-force winds - I haven't seen the sun in about 5 days, and nearly had my glasses blown from my face a few times (I've gotten in the habit of just pocketing my glasses when I go outside - even if it's not windy, they'll get all rainified). Winter has definitely arrived in NZ.

That aside, I have gotten to do a few fun things, mainly of a museum nature. Did the Parliament tour yesterday, did a floor of Te Papa, the national museum (saving the rest so I can see with Green Raja after he arrives tomorrow evening), and occupied the NZ film archive for most of today (seeing Eagle vs. Shark and Black Sheep). Also walked up Mt. Victoria this morning, and while the views were a bit cloudy, it was highly invigorating walking up the top and getting blown about a bit by the wind! Tomorrow, other than picking up an Irishman at the airport, I'll check out the WETA museum (Peter Jackson's company's tourist trap - I can't resist, and it's free unless I buy lots of stuff), and if the weather's remotely nice, I'll go ride the cable car and see the Karori Sanctuary, where they're trying to restore a NZ-as-it-was-before-humans-screwed-it-up environment, with native flora and birds, and no predators like stoats or feral cats. (Yes, feral cats are actually a decently-sized problem here.)

That's all for now. Hopefully I'll have more awesome adventures to report next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment